This weekend I volunteered at a Juneteenth Celebration 2022 on the grounds of a historic meeting house, c. 1791. I actually gave meeting house tours, told details about its construction and past history plus talked about Juneteenth. It was a special treat to see the interior since the building is rarely open for tours.
Walking into the meeting house brings up all types of memories, the Civil War, religious freedom, and freedom for all.
Everyone got a slice of cake decorated with red, white and blue icing along with red hibiscus tea or lemonade.
For entertainment, there was live music and a storyteller. A children’s art center was set up so they could make a brown African drum out of disposable cups.
Another interesting exhibit was that of the Baobab Tree.
I learned the Baobab tree is also called the tree of life. It can live to be over 1,000 years old. The trees grows in Madagascar, mainland Africa and northwest Australia.
Baobab trees store many gallons of water in their soft, pulp-like trunk. Because of this, many animals such as elephants, bees, giraffes, insects, fruit bats and even man benefit from the Baobab trees.
Why we Celebrate Juneteenth 2022
We celebrate Juneteenth to commemorate the end of legal slavery in the United States.
People can celebrate Juneteenth in various ways such as having parades, rodeos, barbeques or cookouts which often feature red soda water.
One of the food items for a Juneteenth celebration might include macaroni and cheese.
I thought I would add this special baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe made with a can of evaporated milk for extra smoothness. Be sure to shake the can before using.
At first it seems like there is too much liquid to the mix, but after it is baked, the mixture firms up.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 oz. of Uncooked Macaroni
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 2 Tablespoons of Flour
- 12-oz Can of Evaporated Milk
- 1 Cup of Milk or Half and Half
- 1 Cup of Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Onion Power
- Dash of Hot Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Cook pasta in boiling water and drain.
- Add butter to a large pan and then whisk in the flour until melted.
- Slowly add evaporated milk and milk, while continually whisking until mixture thickens.
- Add cheese to mixture and stir in cooked macaroni. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray. Pour macaroni mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes in a preheated 350 degrees F. until cheese is melted and slightly brown on the edges.
Ending Notes on Juneteenth 2022
Wishing everyone a great Juneteenth Celebration 2022.